The last six months or so, I’ve been plugging away at renovating and furnishing our house. You would think that in that time I would have gotten a lot more completely finished, especially during the months when we were still living with my in-laws. But, it seems like only recently we’ve really put the finishing touches on most of these projects.
One of the very first projects I started was my kitchen island. I knew I wanted to repaint our old cabinets, and thought I would start with the island since it was self contained. I also decided to add some of the 3d paintable wallpaper to the kitchen backsplash to the back of the island, and paint it to match the light fixtures I’d refinished previously.
I started with a rustoleum cabinet transformations kit, so I could turn my yellowy-white island and cabinets to a more blue-white color. The instructions were pretty easy, and the painting itself went relatively smoothly until it came time to do the sealer.
My can of sealer had been contaminated with some kind of black speckles or dust. Rustoleum was kind enough to refund the cost of my kit, but there were a lot of tears around having to strip the fresh paint off parts of the cabinet frame and redo it. I ended up buying a can of Benjamin Moore Stays Clear in semi-gloss finish instead, which has served me really well.
Other than the mishap with the sealer, which I am sure is a fluke, the only negative about this cabinet painting kit is that you actually need closer to 3-4 coats of paint, as opposed to two coats of paint, to get good even coverage. I fully intend on using the paint that came with the kit for the rest of my cabinets, and buying another can of Stays Clear as the sealer as I’m now almost out.