We also decided to try and start up our own D & D group. It’s been years since I’ve played a tabletop game. That was a fun game, or would have been more fun had I not shot myself in the foot in the first five minutes of the zombie survival storyline. Anyway, since I am easily obsessed with new shiny things I ended up with three sets of dice and the desire for my own dice tray.
But, I didn’t want just a dice tray. I wanted to be able to use the tray for something else when we’re not slinging dice. So, I decided to pick up a set of four unfinished serving trays and turn them into dice trays. It was easy to do since I already had all the supplies from my previous refinishing project; the only thing I had to pick up was sets of claw feet – because of course my trays had to have claw feet.
The hardest part of this project was the sanding. The unfinished trays are not the best quality, and I spent the best part of a hour and a half trying to get my first tray into decent shape for painting. I’m going to do the remaining three trays over time; I don’t want to start using the trays until we’ve moved into our new place, which isn’t happening until later this year, so I have plenty of time.
Once the tray was sanded down, I used the same process for painting that I used on my family silverware chest. I painted the dark underpaint, then the lighter top layer. Once those first two layers of paint were dry, I sanded a bit to smooth it out and add a little distressing, then wiped it clean with damp paper towel.