Although most of the stream is covered by the goldfish, I am very proud of how well it came out. I’m planning to make a larger stream kanzashi with two smaller fish when I’ve gotten through more of the exhibition collection pieces I have planned. To make the stream I drew out a pencil sketch, used tweezers and pliers to form the wire according to the sketch, and attached all the wires together using UV resin. Once I had the wire frame together, I backed it with holographic film, and applied a layer of resin over the top. I attached the stream to the uchiwa using UV resin as well.
I worked on the goldfish next, crafting a base for it from chipboard that I covered with chiyogami paper. After applying all the tsumami craft scales, I created a face section for the fish by covering a piece of bristol board with silk, made gave it some wire lips and an eye made from a petal with a large flat back pearl tucked into it. I added some red and yellow rhinestones as well, to represent scaley round cheeks that are common on fancy goldfish.
I wanted the tails of the goldfish to be texturally different from the body of the goldfish. So, instead of using petals to craft the tails, I created wire frames using the same process that I used to make the stream, backed it them with white silk, and glued them in place. The goldfish is the central element to this piece, so once it was glued in place it was much easier to decide how I wanted to arrange the seaweed and flowers.
The flowers, which are water lilies, actually weren’t part of my original plan. I’d only planned to do several branches of sea weed. But, after I got the sea weed in place I felt like it needed something else. Since I was working on another piece that had water lilies, and they fit the watery theme of this piece, they felt like the right fit.
The finishing touch on this piece was making the tassel that hangs from the end of the fan. I’ve made tassels before, so it wasn’t difficult – and since I still have a huge hoard of embroidery floss on hand, I had plenty of color options to choose from. In the end, I used the same blue color that I used to bind the large wirework base flower to the forked hair pin.
As much as I enjoyed the challenge of creating the Koi & Wave Tiara last month, and the sweetness of the Bunny of the Moon Hair Pin from earlier this month, I feel like this piece is my new number one. I wrapped up my Choi Fish tsumami-ga piece yesterday, so that will be coming up on the blog soon – and this weekend I’ll be trying to finish up the cherry blossom and butterfly ear cuff. I want to start something new as well, but I am not quite sure what yet. Most of the big experimental pieces I have planned require some materials that still haven’t arrived in the mail yet, but it’s not like I don’t have plenty of smaller options available to me.
Anyhoo, if that sounds interesting to you I hope you’ll join me tomorrow, on Twitch where I’ll be hanging out with Hissabelle and making art! Come for the chill crafty times and drop a follow to find out when I’m live.